Thursday, December 1, 2016

Tearing Up the Old Floors

We found out about 6 months after we moved into our new house that the floors would need to be repaired. In part due to the lack of support from the original beam (replaced with an Metal I-beam in June) causing warping of the boards but also due to gaps between the boards which we suspect was caused from an old boiler that used to heat the house.

After a lot of convincing (not an easy task for Troy) I gave in and agreed that getting new floors was the best way to go. Work started this week.

This is a huge project, and one that we didn't have the time to take on ourselves so we've hired help. They started by removing all of the flooring. Using a saw they pulled it up in sections. Next they removed the sub-flooring where needed and began the leveling process.

Worth noting that the biggest surprise by far was a large hole under a corner section of the kitchen. It's walled off, not accessible from the basement leaving  one's imagination to wander....we're perplexed to say the least. In the hole was an old bicycle tire, a game piece from an old Sorry board game, and bits and pieces of trash. We'll likely be scratching our heads for a while on this one.

I'm standing in the "hole" in the picture further down. When the subfloor was taken up we discovered that the support loads under this area 1.) were in bad shape and 2.) were higher than the other support loads throughout the main level which would cause a leveling nightmare. The mister and I pulled nearly an all-nighter correcting the issue so the flooring guys wouldn't lose any time. Right about 2am, standing in the non-insulated "hole" next to the door  I was really cursing us for choosing to do this project in December.

But, things are coming along and I'm excited to get this box checked off.









1 comment:

  1. Wow what a job! Looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete